Tuesday, February 21, 2012

When the Wind Blows

“When all around is swirling and shaking you don’t have to swirl and shake with it.”
Loren Thornburg

Wind is a crazy thing and it drives me crazy. You can’t see it, you can only see the effects of it. As the winds swirl and shake through Colorado Springs I can’t help but be so thankful for the house that protects me. I can sit inside unaffected by the gusts of winds blowing things over outside. It challenges me to live a life where my house is my skin. Where I can stand in the midst of life’s gusts and blows and be still on the inside. We have all seen the gusts and blows that life can bring. As I continue to walk through those I want to live a life where I see the things blowing around, but I can stand firm while they blow and not be blown with them. It seems the only way to do that is to be grounded and rooted deep in what is true. I have to be. Otherwise, when the wind blows I’m going to get blown with it.

“The name of the LORD is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe.”
Proverbs 18:10 NLT

The Lord is not shaken. He is our strong fortress. A fortress is a place on high and that is what the word safe means here in the Hebrew; to be set on high...high above all that swirls around. That is what He does when we run to Him, He lifts us up above the swirls into His arms so that we are not effected by them. Now don’t be thrown off by the “godly” or the “righteous” who run to Him, for that is you the moment you trust Him enough to run to Him. In Him we have all that we need to not only weather the storm, but be completely secure and safe. This doesn’t mean we won’t feel the blows at times, but that we won’t be blown by them. Even if you have chosen not to run to Him and find yourself blown to the ground you have never blown out of reach of running to His safety. The strength of His tower is more than enough to protect you. This is His sufficiency for you in all that is blowing around you. He is your sufficiency. When things start blowing, start running...to Him. It’s the only way to stay standing in the swirling and shaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment