Sunday, January 25, 2009

Look Around

“Don’t just look where you’re going; look around.”
Lindah Miles (Homeless Advocate)

The driver often misses things that the passenger has the advantage of seeing. We all have times in our lives where we need to be the driver and focus on the task ahead. Yet I find often in life I forget to be the passenger. The passenger gets to look around…sometimes to the road ahead but even further to all that is going on around the car. By not being the passenger at times I miss things because I am not looking. Or even, that I am looking, but in the wrong places like being focused inward on how I am doing. I can be so busy playing the ‘woe is me’ card that I miss the help that is in front of me. Many times the answers to our problems come in ways we would not expect and are not familiar with and so we miss them. Let us be the passenger at times and stop to look around. We just may find help for the very thing we were too busy or too involved to look around for.

“…Look, a righteous king is coming!”
Isaiah 32:1 NLT

In order to see where God is moving and what He is doing we have to look. We have to stop looking at ourselves, at the needs of the day, at the distractions pulling for our attention and look. You never know what righteous king you may see coming. He is ready to come into our lives in a bigger way as a greater king if we will look. And He will soon be coming again and I don’t want to miss the joy of that expectation because I was too busy looking down, looking in or just not looking. I don’t want to miss the joy and joining others in what He is doing around me. The things that He might want me to join Him in if only I will be willing to look around and not just in or down or not. It’s like the song called Your Eyes that says, ‘Give me your eyes for just one second, give me your eyes so I can see everything that I’ve been missing, give me your love for humanity, give me your arms for the broken hearted, the ones that are far beyond my reach, give me your heart for the ones forgotten, give me your eyes so I can see.” I don’t want to miss it just because it’s hard or doesn’t fit in the pretty picture I’ve created. I want to keep Looking Around

No comments:

Post a Comment