Tuesday, March 1, 2011

VIP


“Your life is a privilege, a rare opportunity given to you...live like it.”
Loren Thornburg

I recently got to go to a concert as VIP. Those three initials, Very Important Person, represent a position of status and privilege because of someone’s importance.
When I drove up to the concert and walked up to will call I would not have been recognized as VIP, but once I was given that badge of access that changed. I noticed something different in wearing the badge. I walked different because I felt privileged to have this rare opportunity; to not have to wait in the long line, to enter the arena before the masses and to sit up close directly facing the performers. I took note of the way that I identified with being VIP in a way that changed things and wondered how could I “wear the badge” when I wasn’t wearing the badge. How might things change if I realized that in life outside of the concert arena I have been given privilege and a rare opportunity to live my life? It is a story unlike anyone else ever has or ever will live and it is important. So often I think I need a badge to make me important and so I walk around as NVI, Not Very Important. Yet, who we are is a rare opportunity. Even when badge-less my life is VIP. Knowing that I can appreciate the VIP-ness in others too.

“Indeed, of Zion it will be said, “This one and that one were born in her, and the Most High himself will establish her.” The Lord will write in the register of the peoples: “This one was born in Zion.””
Psalm 87:5-6 NIV

The Lord Himself establishes you. He gives you a badge that says, “Son or Daughter of the King.” As He established Zion so He establishes you, as one who is privileged. We have been given access to His power, His authority and to God Himself. Now if that’s not a privilege I don’t know what is. It’s not anything we have to do, but He sees us right as we are and sets us on a firm and permanent foundation as His kid’s, His own. He looks at us, who trust in Him and says, “That one is Mine” and that means something. It means everything. It means I am taken care of, my identity has been settled and I no longer have to try to settle it. I don’t have to look for things and ways to prove that I am important. It has already been determined by the Most High Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment