Monday, September 5, 2011

Under Construction

“Life is a journey that rarely takes the roads and ways I would have chosen. And for that I am thankful.”
Loren Thornburg

It seems that everywhere I drive there is construction. It wouldn’t be so bad except that construction often means more time for me to get where I am going. Not able to appreciate the bigger picture of the ways that the construction will be worth it when it’s complete, I get annoyed and frustrated. Yet, I don’t get annoyed when it’s finished and things are running and working smoother than before, saving me time to get where I am going. Like the roads my life is often “under construction.” Not usually by choice, but often like the roads, it leaves my life running smoother and working better than before. It is really hard to see that in the midst of it. Through all the orange cones and flashing lights it’s hard to see what is on the other side of completion. I want to learn to see through the construction in appreciation for what is being built. A me that is more functional, more free, and more able to receive construction as a chance for more.
The construction is and will be never ending, yet I don’t have to see it as something to be endured, but enjoyed.

“...God himself is right alongside to keep you steady and on track until things are all wrapped up by Jesus.”
1 Corinthians 1:8 MSG

God is in the construction business. He is about building His people and His church into the likeness of Himself. Being invited to be in His family, to be His sons and daughters, is also an invitation to become “steady and on track.” Unfortunately to get there some changes need to be made and construction of our hearts and lives are needed. Yet, God Himself is right alongside us to see that to completion. As Ecclesiastes 3 says, “there is a time to tear and a time to mend.” It won’t always feel like tearing. There will be times of mending and enjoying the freedom of a mended life. However, there will continually be times where we feel under construction. Then, like the time before, God Himself will bring us through staying right beside us, giving us the strength we need. Lord teach us how to enjoy the construction and the invitation to more life with You right alongside us.

No comments:

Post a Comment