Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Too Hot to Handle


“We were not made to handle life without protection and support.”
Loren Thornburg

When you are dealing with hot objects protection is needed.  That’s why hot pads are so great.  They allow you to grab and move hot items in the kitchen that otherwise would be too hot to touch.  We were not meant to handle things at high temperatures without protection.  This is something we can all agree on, unless we are talking about more than the kitchen.  I can accept my limits when it comes to using hot pads.  Yet, somehow when it comes to my own life I don’t realize my limits and my need for protection.  I think I should be able to handle whatever comes my way no matter how “hot” it is.  The reality is that just like the kitchen I was not made to handle everything life brings me without some protection and support.  I need people alongside me, additional resources, wisdom, counsel, extra rest, space, refreshment and nourishment.  All of these things help protect us from the places in life that are too hot to handle.  


“Jesus said, “I know. I saw Satan fall, a bolt of lightning out of the sky. See what I’ve given you? Safe passage as you walk on snakes and scorpions, and protection from every assault of the Enemy. No one can put a hand on you. All the same, the great triumph is not in your authority over evil, but in God’s authority over you and presence with you. Not what you do for God but what God does for you—that’s the agenda for rejoicing.”

Jesus is the ultimate protector.  Simply speak His name and His protection is there.  Sometimes I miss the freedom of walking in His protection because I don’t think I need it.  I think I can handle it on my own.  I don’t want to admit my weakness.  It is there that I get burned.  I miss the safe passage He is offering me.  I miss getting to see what God wants to do and the rejoicing of His agenda.  I don’t want to get so caught up in my agenda that I miss His.  It’s less about avoiding evil and more about letting Him have the authority in my life and letting Him be present with me.  Just as we reach for the hot pad when we’re about to handle something hot so too may we reach for Him and His protection even if we think we can or should be able to handle it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment