Monday, September 16, 2013

Allow for Healing


“We have in us the tools to heal, if only we would give ourselves the space to use them.”
Loren Thornburg

It wasn’t until I scraped the top of my knuckle that I realized how often that area rubs up against things.  Even the simple act of putting my hands in my pockets has the potential to open up the cut again.  I am reminded with this cut that I can’t operate in the ways that I am used to operating.  I have to approach things more carefully.  In seeing the space my body needs to heal I am reminded that our hearts needs that same space.  In the times and places of hurting we can’t expect to do things as we’ve always done.  When we are sick we don’t expect ourselves to be able to do the same amount in our day because we recognize our need for healing.  In knowing this let’s carry that same approach to the places of our hearts.  When we’ve been hurt, when we’re grieving loss, when we’re facing hardship let us remember we need space.  We can heal in all these places but it means giving ourselves the grace and space we need to allow healing to happen. 

“My child, pay attention to what I say. Listen carefully to my words. Don’t lose sight of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart, for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body.
Proverbs 4:20-22 NLT

The Lord loves to brings life and healing.  Here in Proverbs there is an invitation to let Him do what He is capable of doing.  In order to experience this life and healing we have to listen to the Lord and His truth and let them penetrate our hearts.  He never forces His way into our places in need of healing.  Yet, with even a small turn towards Him He is there ready and willing to penetrate the truth deep into our hearts so that we may experience life.  We can’t do it on our own, but His spirit within us, when invited to the hurt, brings healing.  It takes time and space just as our physical wounds do, but we can rest in Him.  Give God space and allow Him to heal.  He loves to bring life deep into your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment