Sunday, December 22, 2013

Necessity of Christmas

“Though you don’t need gifts...give what you can.
Though it’s not about the food...share meals together.
Though it is much more than a party...spend time to celebrate.
Though you didn’t deserve God’s gift...receive what you so desperately need.”
Loren Thornburg 

Things get busy, presents take over and the eye appeal of everything becomes our focus.  How did it become this way?  What are we celebrating anyway?  It’s hard to remember what we are celebrating with so much going on.  It seems we have lost the necessities of Christmas and found instead the extremities.  The truth is that we need Christmas, but not the Christmas we have come to know.  We don’t need the presents, although I enjoy that part.  We don’t need the food, although it’s fun to share a meal together.  We don’t need the parties, although it’s so good to be together.  So then, what do we need?  We need this time to remember what we have been given.  We need to remember who it is that has given us this great gift.  We need to remember that we don’t deserve any of this nor are we entitled to it.  So join together, share gifts, and enjoy meals, but remember why you need to do this...to remember how you need the great gift we celebrate at Christmas.

For a child is born to us,    a son is given to us.
The government will rest on his shoulders.
    And he will be called:
Wonderful Counselor,
[a] Mighty God,    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
Isaiah 9:6 NLT

We need Jesus.  We need all that He is and all He brings.  I can’t deny the fact that I need a Counselor.  I need a Mighty God.  I need a Father.  I need Peace.  I need a Savior and all the rescue that He brings.  Sometimes I lose this in the midst of parties and presents.  Yet, there is still time to remember the gift that has been given.  There is still time to enjoy Jesus and all that He means to me and desires to bring to us.  I have to remember my Savior, otherwise the necessity of Christmas is lost.  


There is also still time to purchase my devotional book in print AND now the ebook version is also available: 


No comments:

Post a Comment