Sunday, May 2, 2010

Enlarge the Picture

“Don’t miss what could be for what is now”


I wish more things were like touching a hot stove. You immediately know that it is not a good idea when you feel the heat beyond what your fingers can bear. It’s very clear where the pain came from and how to avoid that danger in the future. Not everything is like that. Many actions don’t have consequences until days, weeks, months or years later. It’s hard to see that they should be avoided without the clear immediate pain or consequence. So we have to take a step back and take a broader look at what is going on. We need to enlarge the picture. When we do this we see more of what is going on. It’s so easy to get so focused on what is going on in our world in the moment, that we miss the effects it could have on others beyond this moment. Let’s take a step back and enlarge the picture that we may see the greater view beyond this moment.

“But God’s plan was seen from the beginning of creation…”
Mark 10:6 NLT

Jesus got all kinds of questions like the one He was responding to here about divorce. The disciples answered it with a small picture response of the legal procedure yet Jesus enlarges the picture to the heart of God and His plan for creation to be united. Often it’s easy to look at the events of my life and become confused at what I see, yet there is a bigger picture. There is a God who has had a plan since the beginning of creation. Not only can I enlarge my picture to see there may there be something that I don’t see going on in the midst of my confusion, but I can also enlarge my picture of my God. The circumstance may look like God is bringing pain, but the bigger picture is that our God is love, good, and faithful. Enlarge your picture to see the God who is bigger than what you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment