Sunday, May 16, 2010

In Your Custody

“Let nothing prevent you, let nothing keep you, let nothing deter you from that which you’ve been given to care for.”
Loren Thornburg

We have each been given someone(s) or something(s) to care for. We’ve been given custody in the general sense of the word, which is protective care or guardianship of someone or thing. For some this may be in the more common use of this term in that you have been given custody of children to care for, but for many this includes our family, our friends, our work, our dreams, our callings, our ministries, and ourselves. So it is up to us to guard, protect, keep, and care for these things that we have been given. The problem is that it’s never easy. There will be difficulties and challenges big and small that often take us past the point that we think we can or want to persevere. It can be so easy to lose sight of that which we have been called to care for with the amount of care with which we have been called to care for it. We forget it is a gift, we forget we have been called specifically, we forget we have been given custody. In looking back at the common use of this term as parents fight to be able to care for their kids so we need to fight for the things we have been given in our custody and in our care. What’s in your custody?

“This is the Message I’ve been set apart to proclaim as preacher, emissary, and teacher. It’s also the cause of all this trouble I’m in. But, I have no regrets. I couldn’t be more sure of my ground—the One I’ve trusted in can take care of what he’s trusted me to do right to the end. So keep at your work, this faith and love rooted in Christ, exactly as I set it out for you. It’s as sound as the day you first heard it from me. Guard this precious thing placed in your custody by the Holy Spirit who works in us.” 2 Timothy 1: 11-14 MSG

Paul is reminding Timothy of the great call he has been given though he finds himself facing trouble. Often I find that in the midst of trouble I am ready to abandon my call, doubting that I am adequate, believing that the challenges I face must mean I’ve gone the wrong way. The Message is the reason Paul has a call but it’s also the reason that he finds trouble. Sometimes I think we forget that God’s calling doesn’t mean easy sailing. Often when we follow as we believe He has called us to we come to a road block and immediately question God and that which He has called us to. Instead let us follow the encouragement and example of Paul. Let’s keep at our work which is faith and love rooted in Christ. Guard this work! It’s been given to you! It’s in your custody! So next time you face a road block rather than throwing your hands in the air in doubt throw them to the Spirit in surrender who works in you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment