Monday, December 5, 2011

Heard

“You have a voice, so let it be heard.”

Loren Thornburg


There is much power in being heard. Having lost my voice I realized how important a voice is and how limiting it feels without one. Communication is key to relationship and connection. Without those it is lonely and abundant life is hindered. Thankfully there are many ways that we communicate beyond speech including writing, smiling, touching and our actions. In addition to the frustration of not being able to connect, there is also the frustration of not being heard. In the midst of speaking (or trying to speak) and finding people couldn’t hear me or understand me I saw how this frustration extends beyond our physical voices to the ways that we often don’t feel “heard.” It correlates closely to our worth and our purpose. I pictured the young boy I saw at the coffee shop sitting a part from his mom who was in a conversation with a friend. The mom did not want to be interrupted. You could see the hurt on the face of the child, longing to be heard, longing to be noticed, longing to feel important enough to receive space from his mom to be “heard.” We all want to be heard, to have a voice, to feel like we have something to offer. When we are heard we hear more than our voice, but our heart hears that we are worth it. We all have something worth being heard, worth someones time, worth that is intrinsic worth. You have a voice. You have much to offer. Let it be heard and let others be heard. Be someone who hears so that someone else might know they are worth being heard.


“And how bold and free we then become in his presence, freely asking according to His will, sure that He’s listening.”

1 John 4:14 MSG


In the midst of having lost my voice I realized I have never lost my voice in my relationship with God. It may not have been my preference to not be able to be involved in the ways I would have chosen because I couldn’t speak as clearly, but no lack of voice kept my prayers from being heard. I don’t need words with God. He knows my heart, He hears my thoughts, and I am “heard” when I am talking to Him even when no one else can hear, He does. I free to come and to come boldly. Not because I have something to offer but because who I am is worth it to Him. In His presence I am free in knowing that He is listening. He paid the price that we could have eternal life, that we could come boldly and freely because we are worth it. You are worth it to Him. So come. Ask in His will, for His will, knowing you are heard.



No comments:

Post a Comment