Sunday, October 28, 2012

Unshakable


“Let nothing stand between you and unshakable.”
Loren Thornburg

Since living in Colorado I have had the opportunity to explore the mountains with some amazing hikes.  With hiking also comes scree.  Scree is the accumulation of rock fragments formed by weathering and erosion.  The presence of scree on the trails makes for a slippery surface.  Even just a few small pebbles can create the possibility of slipping no matter how stable the foundation underneath.   Even as I become well versed on traveling through the scree and even if I have poles and all the right tools, I am still more at risk when my foundation is altered.  It makes me wonder what kind of scree I have in my life that presents the possibility for slipping and falling.  What things have I allowed to become that which I am standing on that aren’t a true foundation?  Am I standing on the opinions of others, or my accomplishments, or relationships, or financial status or anything that can be shaken?  I can’t just sweep it away on the trails of a mountain, but I can begin to clear it away in my life as that which gives me my hope and security.  Step off of the scree and onto that which is unshakable.  

“Do you see what we’ve got? An unshakable kingdom! And do you see how thankful we must be? Not only thankful, but brimming with worship, deeply reverent before God.  For God is not an indifferent bystander.  He’s actively cleaning house, torching all that needs to burn, and he won’t quit until it’s all cleansed.  God himself is Fire!”
Hebrews 12:28-29 Message

God is unshakable.  He is a foundation that can’t and won’t ever be moved.  He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  When we settle in Him we get His sure foundation based on truth that never changes.  Yet, even one small pebble on that foundation can cause a fall when stepped on.  It only takes a little scree to create a potentially unstable surface.  God knows that and in His love is trying to remove it.  He is cleaning the places of our hearts that are standing on all that isn’t Him.  He won’t quit because He loves us.  In the removing process it can feel unsettling, but that’s until you see what God is doing and what He is building in your life.  He is clearing the stage for you to walk free from the scree onto a foundation that is unshakable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment