Monday, March 3, 2014

What I Would Have Missed

“The things of greatest worth require the greatest perseverance.”
Loren Thornburg

I remember wanting to quit.  It was softball season of my freshman year of high school and It just got too hard with no guarantee of it getting any better.  With some encouragement I didn’t quit and I am so glad I didn’t as I look back now on all I would have missed.  I would have missed friendships, college ball, playing overseas, and so many opportunities and experiences that I hold of great worth.  I am so glad for all those times I decided to endure even when it seemed too hard.  I’ve had this many times throughout my life.  It’s that moment where you decide whether you are going to stay the course or not.  It seems life requires perseverance.  We can’t escape the call to persevere.  At times it can feel like it’s just not worth it, but just think what you might miss.  What great loss for those who give up when it gets hard.  For they miss what’s on the other side of difficulty.  As I look back on the rewards I’ve found from persevering I am encouraged to do it again knowing that something good often awaits on the other side.  

“For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what was promised.”
Hebrews 10:36 NASB

Here in Hebrews a word of encouragement is spoken to those tempted to give up on their confidence in Jesus.  They are reminded to draw on their past experience to gain strength for the future.  We need that same word of encouragement.  It’s hard to remain faithful when the promise seems far away and uncertain.  The promise is worth it.  His promises are always worth it.  We all face the temptation to give up when it gets hard.  It seems the easy thing to do.  Yet, when you compare it with the loss of what you miss it’s actually not the easier thing at all.  Following Jesus is marked by the need of endurance.  It’s all throughout scripture to wait, persevere and endure because it doesn’t come easy to us, but it’s worth it.  He is worth the persevering, enduring and waiting.  Don’t miss what He has for you on the other side of enduring.  He’s worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment