Sunday, September 21, 2014

Different Kind of Freedom

“True freedom is not when I get where I want to be.  No, true freedom is when I don’t need to be anywhere else than where I am.”
Loren Thornburg

The illusion is that we will feel more free once certain circumstances align.  There is nothing wrong with desiring things to look different.  It’s so good to have dreams and goals and to work towards them.  Yet, what I am finding as I reach my goals is that those things won’t set me free.  I didn’t even know that I thought they would, until I’m disappointed when they don’t.  It seems the only true freedom is when I don’t need those things to be free.  Circumstances will constantly change.  Even if I reach my goal, sooner or later there will be another one.  Freedom will always be one step away.  So then, the only true freedom is when right now is enough.  When where I am at is enough, then I find I am free.

“Look! The virgin will conceive a child!  She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means ‘God is with us.’”
Matthew 1:23 NLT

It’s in His name.  Immanuel means God is with us.  This seems to be God’s greatest desire: to be with us.  He wants to be with you.  Often times I desire to be fixed.  I think this will bring me the freedom I desire.  Yet, no where does God say He needs me to be fixed.  No where does it say that freedom comes when I have it all together or when I’ve overcome all the obstacles.  The truth sets us free.  The truth is that God is with us.  At this very moment God is with you.  He’s not waiting for you to be fixed and so neither should you.  He is waiting for you to let Him be enough.  He is waiting for you to let Him be with you, all of you.  He is waiting, inviting you to freedom, right now in this very moment.  It’s a different kind of freedom than what we once thought.  It’s one that invites you to let Him be the “with you” God. He may not fix you but He will join you.  When that’s enough, then we are truly free.  

No comments:

Post a Comment