Sunday, May 24, 2009

Settle for More

“How much more we miss because we are willing to settle for less”
Loren Thornburg

Settling in itself is not a bad thing. We settle on decisions, settle conflicts, settle in a new home, settle new lands, settle debts, settle legal disputes, or become calm and settled. The problem is that we are often too quick to settle or too early to stop and in that we miss out on so much. I am reminded of this often when I am hiking as I am tempted to stop before the top. There are many reasons to stop…my legs get tired, the climb is hard, the weather is bad. However, what I find as the greatest temptation is a good view. Often along the hike there are places where you get a good view. If I didn’t know there was an even better view up ahead I would settle or subside to stay there in the good view, missing the best view. It reminds me how often I am willing to do that in my life. I cling to what is good and in doing that miss the best. Satisfied with a relationship, a way of living or way of doing things that is in fact suitable or even above average but in staying there in that I miss what could be, I miss a better relationship, a more suitable way of living, and a more effective way of doing things. So enjoy the good, yes, but don’t stop there, move forward until you reach the best!

“Come close, listen carefully: I've never kept secrets from you. I've always been present with you."…"I am God, your God, who teaches you how to live right and well. I show you what to do, where to go. If you had listened all along to what I told you, your life would have flowed full like a river, blessings rolling in like waves from the sea. “
Isaiah 48: 17-19 MSG

The Lord has our best in mind. In all things He longs for us to settle for nothing less. He invites us to come close to Him, to settle in Him, to lead us and guide us into His best. For in His best we find our best. The Israelites missed this. They missed the invitation to come to Him and in that they missed all the blessings that flow from Him like waves of the sea. We can miss it like the Israelites did in our hikes of life. We don’t always know what is good and what is best when left to our own and we can be quick to settle for the good view along the way. This is why the Lord calls us to Himself so that He can show us the way. He is not in the business of keeping things from us. If only we will look to Him, draw near to Him, listen carefully to Him. He is leading us to more, to best, to HIM! Trail maps may fail, tour guides may falter, but our God never keeps His best from us if we are willing to look to Him, to climb with Him, to follow Him through the tough terrain, the steep incline, and the bad weather. He has your best in mind if you will settle for nothing less than settling on HIM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment