Sunday, April 1, 2012

Taste and See

“Trust is going but not knowing, stepping but not seeing, and worth it but not easy.”
Loren Thornburg

There are some things that you just have to experience to understand. It’s like trying a strawberry for the first time. You really can’t explain what it’s like. You have to taste it! I had a similar experience visiting the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado. I was told about them but I had to be there and be in them to understand what was being said. Even a picture or video couldn’t have done justice to walking up them and rolling and running down them. It’s one of those things you have to taste and then you will see for yourself to know. Trust is like that too. You just have to step out and do it to experience it. We don’t get to know the full picture of what happens next. We have to go for it and trust what happens next. The longer we wait to step out, the longer we miss out on what it tastes like. You don’t get to know the outcome before you take that step of faith. Only those who step out will know. Sometimes it may not work out as we had hoped, but there will be other times when it’s so good that we wonder why we didn’t step earlier. Don’t miss those good ones...it’s worth the risk.

“Oh taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!”
Psalm 34:8 NKJV

I was introduced to a new perspective on the miracle in John 6 of feeding the thousands with limited loaves and fish. The boy, who had the food in this time of limited resources and gave it, he didn’t know what would come of it. It seems easy to give a little if you know it is going to be multiplied, but he didn’t know and usually we don’t either. That’s why it’s called trust. We give our little that we have not knowing what God is going to do with it, not knowing what will happen next. Yet, if that boy had not given his little he may not have seen the miracle of it that day. Oh I believe God could have made it happen another way but that boy got to experience Him in a whole new way and I don’t want to miss that. My trusting may not look like feeding the thousands but I can trust God will use it. Yet, it’s not until I step out into trust and the unknown of the outcome that I can experience His miracles. I don’t get to know the wonder of trusting the Lord from the safety of what is known. I don’t get to know Jesus until I step into Him. I have to taste and see. I have to step out into the scary place of trusting. It’s not easy but it’s worth it. It’s not known but He is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment